Friday 11 June 2010

World Cup 2010 - Day 1




The World Cup began today. Now to explain, I love the world cup, I get quite obsessed. I have taken a week's annual leave from work to ensure I can watch all the games, I have built up my flexi time so that I can watch all the games after I go back.

However, the downside to watching the world cup is I have to endure the UK TV coverage. In the UK there is a law that states major tournaments such as the European championships and the World Cup are on free to air, terrestrial TV channels.

So today the opening ceremony was on ITV, this started with the fact that there is ITV HD although you have to hunt for it on the SKY. We were greeted by Adrian Chiles, who recently defected from the BBC, who seemed as excited as Droopy needing a nap. He was joined by Andy Townsend and Gareth Southgate who spent most of there time complaining about the vuvuzelas keeping them awake at 1am. They are clearly getting into the atmosphere of the tournament there.

The opening ceremony began and ITV in their wisdom cut to adverts during it, meaning we were missing parts of it. Then every time we cut back to the studio, Adrian Chiles continued to look bored. He then goes on just before the beginning of the first match "sorry Mexico fans, but there is no-one supporting you, we are South Africa fans today". Truly, a massive W**ker.


Then we'll move onto BBC Coverage for the evening match. Uruguay v France

I won't go into to much detail here but: Due to the unique way in which the BBC is funded, they have a rotating studio. Gary Lineker, Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer and Adebayor at least had some excitement showing which contrasted the earlier ITV coverage, however in the build up to the match all the BBC did was tell us about England's preparations, the England squad, the England manager, England's injuries etc. At half time - instead of analysis we got more about England - oh and more moaning about the vuvuzelas.

Here is a tip for both broadcasters: I would like to hear about players from all 32 teams, not just the ones from England who I already know about. I would particularly like to hear the line up and preparations of the teams that are about to play in the game that I am about to watch. At half time analysis about the game that's going on would be awesome (although to be honest, I'm getting the drinks in and using the facilities so it's not that important)

We're only at day 1 so you have time to get your acts together.



1 comment:

  1. ...
    You've hit the mail on the head there, my dear - it's why the ABE article on the BBC has been so popular today.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8733373.stm

    It's the presumption and arrogance that England are the most important and interesting and not at all flukey and deserve to win and ultimately they wuz robbed and no-one wants to hear about any of the other teams...

    ReplyDelete