Saturday 29 May 2010

It's a whole new world



I've said it before but this time I mean it. I am determined to make some changes in life. I'm gradually getting fitter, losing weight but the best bit is I'm actually enjoying doing it. I recently found a social tennis group to join. Tennis is a sport that I have never played, never. I love watching tennis, love it. I become obsessed with Grand Slams and always want to give it a go but can't think of a way to start playing. The group I'm playing with seems to be a solution. I am really enjoying it and finding that I am also not terrible at it. I'm not great, but not terrible either. But most importantly it's got me looking into trying to find lessons...at my age!


Also, last month I completed a 26 mile marathon walk (Kiltwalk) for charity in 8.5hrs, something I am very proud of completing. Something that a some people who know me and should support me, didn't think I could do. It wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done, but it certainly wasn't as hard as I expected meaning that the training had helped. Since then I've done a 10K walk and am slowly attempting to start running, but to be honest, I hate running. I'm getting better at it and I'm certainly feeling fitter and better than I have in years but running is not something I enjoy. Walking yes, running no.

I have also found social groups to go out with which is great which means I have some semblance of a social life. I have also found new interests. I joined a debating group. Again it's a fun and social group (we meet in a pub) I signed up while on a pub crawl with the group's organiser but decided to go anyway and actually really enjoyed it.

My new philosophy of trying new things seems to be going well. I guess it's a little bit about getting out of my comfort zone.

I think once you pass the age of 30 trying new things is definitely not as easy as it once was but I am slowly and surely finding that you can get a hell of a lot of out of just biting the bullet and trying.

So, I'm feeling pretty good, I'm trying new things - let's hope it continues.

1 comment:

  1. Good on ya - you might like my friend's blog, The Reinvention Project (http://thereinventionproject.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete